Quite literally in a class of its own, the new 851A Class XD integrated amplifier is designed to offer power, finesse and astonishingly low distortion. At its heart lies our own proprietary Class XD technology, which has been refined and enhanced since its inception in the 840 series, allowing even greater musical detail to be delivered to your speakers.
Like all Cambridge Audio products, the 851A adheres to our three core values: stunning performance, ease of use and incredible value.
Capable of delivering an enormous 120 watts of high-quality power, it benefits from two audiophile-grade mains transformers: one for the sensitive preamp section and one for the power stages allowing the 851A to deliver its immense output without stress. This incredible speaker-taming amount of power can be precision-controlled with another innovation found in the 851A – the new fully balanced silicon gate volume control, which gives very fine adjustment across the volume range and highly accurate channel-balancing.
Because everyone’s needs are different, the 851A offers two main types of connectivity: the more commonly found RCA/Phono inputs, plus two pairs of fully balanced XLR connections. Our matching 851C upsampling CD player also features both types of connection, allowing you to connect your system in the very highest quality possible.
Our casework is more than just an exercise in great design, too. The full-metal chassis is acoustically damped for greater performance, with a striking yet robust brushed-metal fascia.
And because we know everyone chooses different source components, we’ve developed an intuitive display which enables you to customise the names of your components – CD player, PC, TV etc. removing that perennial problem of having to remember which device is connected to which input!
Speaking of flexibility, you can even control your iPhone, iPad or iPod using the 851 Series remote control when they’re docked in our matching iD100 digital dock.
Unlike many high end amplifiers which excel in one area over another, we believe the 851A offers the perfect combination of high performance, flexibility and ease of use. It’s designed to take your listening experience to an entirely different level and we invite you to audition our best amplifier to date at your nearest Cambridge Audio specialist.
- Class XD™ amplification designed to eliminate crossover distortion at low signal levels
- New balanced volume topology controllable in 1dB steps, giving very fine control, and superbly accurate channel balance
- Audiophile grade oversize toroidal transformer and substantial extruded heatsink allowing 2 x 120 Watts RMS into 8 Ohms or 2 x 200W into 4 ohms.
- Separate transformer taps for left and right channels, twin rectifiers and separate PSUs for dual mono operation of the left and right power amplifiers
- A separate toroidal transformer supplies the preamp making the 851A effectively a Pre and Power amp combination in one box
- CAP5 protection technology for trouble free operation
- Acoustically damped full metal chassis with thick brushed aluminium front panel
- Customisable front panel display
- Balanced and unbalanced analogue audio inputs for superior connectivity
- RS232 controllable
Power output 120W RMS into 8 Ohms
200W RMS into 4 Ohms
THD (unweighted) < 0.001% 1 kHz at 80% of rated power
< 0.01% 20 Hz - 20 kHz at 80% of rated power
Audio inputs 2 x balanced XLR
8 x RCA inputs
Audio outputs Preamp output
Frequency response 10 Hz - 50 kHz +/- 1 dB S/N ratio (ref 1w) > 93 dB (ref 1W/8 Ohm) Input impedance Inputs 1 and 2 (balanced) 20 kOhm
Inputs 1-7 unbalanced 20 kOhm
Rec Input 20 kOhm
Power amp damping factor > 110 at 1 kHz Max. power consumption 800W Min. power consumption Active (no signal) 70W Standby power consumption Standby <0.5W Tone control Shelving type
Max bass boost/cut +/- 10 dB at 10 Hz
Max treble boost/cut +/- 7.5 dB at 20 kHz
Colour Silver or black Dimensions (WxHxD) 430 x 115 x 385mm (16.9 x 4.5 x 15.2”) Weight 15.0Kg (33lbs)