- Vinyl vs DigitalQuestion by: general_question on 2016-07-21 23:29:28
One of the most commonly asked question is what is better? Vinyl or Digital music.
Short answer is both have their pros and cons.
I will go through the differences are we see them and try to list the pros and cons as comprehensively as we can.
- Delivers analog sound. This is what is refered to as a 'warm' sound. Analog sound is what we hear with our ears. The vibration of the styli (needle) in the groove of the record creates sine waves that is then reproduced by the amplifier and speakers. There is no digital conversion that is an estimate of the music.
- Can last a lifetime.
- Cartidges and styli can usually be upgraded.
- Delivers a wider frequency range including ultrasonic frequencies (above 20 kHz) that have been shown to help the body release endorphines that brings on that 'feel-good' feeling.
- Potentially more accurate sound.
- Can come with booklets with band photos and lyrics.
- Can be easily damaged.
- Large music collections can take up alot of space.
- Not 'toddler friendly' (though they DO make good frisbees)
- Needs more maintenance.
- Not a portable media.
- Large collections in very small space.
- Can be used in multiple devices. (computers, phones, MP3 players, CDs, USB sticks, etc)
- Much less suseptible to physical damage than vinyl.
- Can be organised much more efficiently. (search entire music libraries with a simple click)
- Digital devices can be improved by external Digital to Analog Convertors. (DACs)
- Can be digitally remastered after recording. (Usually done is a studio)
- Easy to make copies of files.
- Can lose entire collections if hard discs fail.
- Doesn't have the 'warmth' that vinyl has.
- Is not an exact copy of the music. Digital music is an estimate that is accomplished with 'sample rates' (the higher the sample rate the closer to the original)
- A lot of digital music is compressed. (lower sound quality)
- Potential compatability issues with different file types on different hardware.Answer by: on
MARANTZ TT15S1 Premium Series Turntable
Fulfilling numerous requests from analogue aficionados, Marantz developed the TT15s1 premium turntable. With acrylic resin chassis, solid aluminium feet, magnetic anti-skating, ceramic bearings, and continuous silicon belt, it delivers top-class performance and uninterrupted listening pleasure. The TT15s1 also includes the Marantz exclusive MM system in a stylish ebony body, so it is pleasing to the eye as well as the ear. Its anodised arm has been optimised to partner the unit perfectly, while the high-grade audio interconnect is directly fixed to the system. And, with a design that matches all other products in the Premium Series, it represents the ultimate addition to any audiophile’s Marantz home audio system.
Rated output (1kHZ, 5m/s)
Freq. Response (Digital Audio)
20Hz – 20kHz
|Rated output (1kHZ, 5m/s)||3.6mV|
|Freq. Response (Digital Audio)||20Hz – 20kHz|
|Speed variation||+/- 0.2%|
|Dimensions W x H x D (Inchs)||419 x 137 x 361 mm (w/o Tonearm)|
|Weight (lbs)||9kg (w/o Tonearm & motor)|