Vinyl vs DigitalQuestion by: general_question on 2016-07-21 23:29:28
One of the most commonly asked question is what is better? Vinyl or Digital music.
Short answer is both have their pros and cons.
I will go through the differences are we see them and try to list the pros and cons as comprehensively as we can.
- Delivers analog sound. This is what is refered to as a 'warm' sound. Analog sound is what we hear with our ears. The vibration of the styli (needle) in the groove of the record creates sine waves that is then reproduced by the amplifier and speakers. There is no digital conversion that is an estimate of the music.
- Can last a lifetime.
- Cartidges and styli can usually be upgraded.
- Delivers a wider frequency range including ultrasonic frequencies (above 20 kHz) that have been shown to help the body release endorphines that brings on that 'feel-good' feeling.
- Potentially more accurate sound.
- Can come with booklets with band photos and lyrics.
- Can be easily damaged.
- Large music collections can take up alot of space.
- Not 'toddler friendly' (though they DO make good frisbees)
- Needs more maintenance.
- Not a portable media.
- Large collections in very small space.
- Can be used in multiple devices. (computers, phones, MP3 players, CDs, USB sticks, etc)
- Much less suseptible to physical damage than vinyl.
- Can be organised much more efficiently. (search entire music libraries with a simple click)
- Digital devices can be improved by external Digital to Analog Convertors. (DACs)
- Can be digitally remastered after recording. (Usually done is a studio)
- Easy to make copies of files.
- Can lose entire collections if hard discs fail.
- Doesn't have the 'warmth' that vinyl has.
- Is not an exact copy of the music. Digital music is an estimate that is accomplished with 'sample rates' (the higher the sample rate the closer to the original)
- A lot of digital music is compressed. (lower sound quality)
- Potential compatability issues with different file types on different hardware.Answer by: on
MARANTZ SA14S1 SE Special Edition Super Audio CD Player
New Premium Products from Marantz are always reason for the audiophile community to celebrate. And the new 14 Series Special Edition lovingly thrusts the audio experience to new levels.
New Premium Products from Marantz are always reason for the audiophile community to celebrate. And the new 14 Series Special Edition thrusts the audio experience to new levels – because this Special Edition has been lovingly fi ne-tuned and passionately optimized for High Resolution files: marking the new era in music adoration.
The SA-14S1 Special Edition includes a heavy 5mm thick aluminum top lid and highly rigid feet to minimize vibration as well as an oversized Toroidal transformer and a strong power supply section that generates the cleanest of power to eliminate component cross-contamination.
This is the perfect platform reference-quality sound. It includes a DAC-Mode that’s almost identical in functionality to that of the revolutionary, award-winning NA-11S1. It has optical and coaxial digital input as well as USB-B for direct connection to a PC. This means it provides direct high-definition audio streaming from your PC so you can make use of the high quality DAC and the high quality audio output stage with HDAM-SA2 modules. That’s why, importantly, this newly developed player also includes our latest ground/signal isolator technology, to virtually eliminate PC noise.
The player can operate as a soundcard for your PC and the USB-B port works in asynchronous mode to support not only 192kHz / 24bits but also the DSD 2.8MHz and 5.6MHz for maximized versatility and performance. It even has a USB input on the front to play MP3, WAV, and AAC formats, and, of course it’s iPod/iPhone compatible. This is Super Audio CD quality in the sublime, and more. Much more.
Marantz HDAM Technology
Compared to other disc players that employ multiple op-amp ICs, the SA-14S1 Special Edition features our exclusive HDAM technology that employs dedicated modules featuring discrete components that together deliver wide dynamic range and fast slew rate for true wideband response.
High Current Power Supply
The power supply features a large high current toroidal power transformer that features OFC (oxygen free copper) secondary windings, along with high speed, high current Schottky Barrier Diodes in the rectifier stage for the purest DC voltage output.
Reference Class D/A Conversion
In order to handle the widest range of disc and audio file types, the SA-14S1 Special Edition incorporates the reference class DSD1792 digital-to-analogue converter, which provides up to 192 kHz/24 bit resolution, along with DSD decoding with Super Audio CDs. To prevent interference between the various stages, the power supply, digital audio stage and analogue audio stages each feature their own individual circuit boards. A variety of disc and file types are supported including music CDs and Super Audio CDs, as well as linear PCM, AAC, MP3 and WAV file types. Via the rear panel USB-B port, you can connect your computer and enjoy audio files including High Resolution DSD 2.8MHz and 5.6MHz for maximized versatility and performance.
Rigid chassis, thick Aluminum top cover and heavy feet
It is all about creating a good foundation before starting to take care of the processing and amplification of sensitive audio signals. With a solid base, we ensure that vibration will be kept to a minimum not influencing the audio signal by microphonic effects to keep it unaltered.
Along with the analogue stereo outputs, there are also digital and coaxial outputs for connection to an external digital decoder or amplifier, and the SA-14S1 Special Edition is also equipped with optical and coaxial inputs that allow you to use the player as a standalone digital audio convertor. There are remote control input and output jacks that let you connect the SA-14S1 Special Edition to other compatible Marantz components, and an internal/external switch on the rear panel provides additional system control flexibility.
Convenient Front USB-A Port
Conveniently located on the front panel, the USB port lets you connect your favourite portable audio device as well as USB media, and the port features compatibility with the iPod, iPod touch and the iPhone which lets you enjoy direct digital connection for the utmost audio fidelity.
System Remote Control
The elegant remote control features an intuitive ergonomic layout, and is equipped with amplifier control functions that let you use a single remote control to operate the SA-14S1 Special Edition and the matching PM-14S1 Special Edition premium integrated stereo amplifier.
Low Noise Fluorescent Display
The deluxe low noise fluorescent display features clear, easy to read alpha-numeric characters and is compatible with text-encoded Super Audio CDs. There's a display control button on the remote control that lets you dim the display or even turn it off if you wish.
Dedicated Headphone Output
Connect your favourite headphones directly to the convenient front panel headphone jack, which also features its own variable volume control. The headphone circuit is designed to be compatible with the widest range of headphone types, and is compatible with lower impedance headphones as well.