Parasound has added a new 2.1-channel audio preamplifier to its high-end 'Halo' product family. The new Parasound Halo P 5, which replaces the popular and long-lived Halo P 3 stereo preamplifier, adds a high-quality DAC (digital-to-analog converter) with coaxial, optical, and USB inputs, subwoofer outputs with analog bass management, home theater bypass, moving-coil capabilities to the phono stage, and a precision, motorized volume control.
"For 10 years, the Halo P 3 has been a mainstay of our line for value-conscious audiophiles," said Richard Schram, the founder and president of Parasound. "However, new technologies have changed the ways audiophiles connect to and enjoy their music. So, the addition of a high quality DAC was an obvious choice for the P 5. There has also been a resurgence in turntables, so we upgraded the MM-only phono stage to also handle moving coil cartridges with a choice of load impedances. While the P 3 has outstanding two-channel sound, many audiophiles today have 2.1-channel stereo speaker systems with robust subwoofers. The P 5 actually creates a sub channel output for the 2.1 listening. The P 5 also makes it easy to integrate audiophile stereo speakers with a home theater surround system. The addition of a balanced XLR subwoofer output and variable low frequency and high frequency crossovers makes the Halo P 5 uniquely capable in these configurations."
The Parasound Halo P 5's state-of-the-art DAC can process a wide range of digital sources with its coaxial and optical inputs accepting up to 192 kHz rates, and the USB input accepting up to 96 kHz.
The Halo P 5 inputs include one pair of balanced XLR, phono, five RCA line-level stereo inputs and a front panel 3.5mm mini jack for portable MP3 players or smartphones. Its line outputs are balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA, plus a choice of balanced or unbalanced subwoofer outputs. The main and subwoofer outputs can be run full range or placed under the careful regulation of variable frequency analog high-pass and low pass crossovers.
The phono input is compatible with all moving magnet cartridges, and virtually all moving coil cartridges, with a 100 ohm/47k ohm switch to select the appropriate load impedance matching.
The front panel has a headphone jack, controls for source selection, level, bass, treble, tone defeat, balance, and subwoofer level. There is an auxiliary input with an additional 12-dB gain stage to compensate for typically low output of portable devices. An included remote control duplicates these functions. The IC volume control of the P 3 has been replaced with a premium Alps motorized potentiometer.
In addition to upgrades to the analog audio circuitry, the P 5 features a 0.5 watt standby power consumption to meet the new Energy Star requirements. A 12-VDC trigger circuit and a IR connection and loop-out make it easy to interface with sophisticated AV systems.
- Burr-Brown PCM1798 DAC with USB, Optical and Coax inputs
- Coax and optical accept all sampling rates up to 192 kHz, 24-bit
- USB accepts up to 96 kHz, 24-bit
- Incoming jitter on all three digital inputs is significally attenuated with an effective clock recovery system
- Analog Bass management with high and low pass crossovers
- Home theater bypass input for surround sound integration
- Front panel subwoofer level control
- 5 RCA line level inputs
- 1 XLR balanced input (parallels Input 5 RCA jacks)
- Phono input for MM & MC cartridges with 100 Ohm or 47k Ohm load
- Front panel Aux input with automatic +12 dB gain stage
- Balanced XLR and RCA left and right outputs
- 1 balanced XLR and 2 RCA subwoofer outputs
- Bass & treble controls with defeat from remote or front panel
- Headphone jack with 10 ohm output impedance
- Rear panel IR input and IR loop output jacks
- 12 V output to trigger power amplifiers and other devices
- Automatic turn on with 12 V trigger or AC power
- Fixed level record output
- Premium motor-driven Alps potentiometer volume control
- Left/Right Balance control
- Remote control with discrete on/off power buttons
- 0.5w standby power consumption meets Energy Star spec
- Rack mounting adapter available (Model HRA 2 sold separately)
- Available in silver or black finish
- Parasound 5 year parts, 5 years labor warranty
Frequency Response 10 Hz - 100k kHz, +0/-3 dB Total Harmonic Distortion <0.01% Crosstalk > 70 dB at 20 kHz Input Sensitivity 300 mv: 1 Volt Out Total Gain: 10 dB
Maximum Output: 7 Volts
Input Impedance Unbalanced: 24kΩ Balanced: 100kΩ per leg Output Impedance Unbalanced: 100Ω Balanced: 470Ω per leg S/N Ratio - Line Inputs 1-5 >108 dB, Input Shorted, IHF A-Weighted >90dB, Input Shorted, Unweighted S/N Ratio - Phono Inputs MM >80 dB, Input Shorted, IHF A-Weighted MM >70 dB, Input Shorted, Unweighted MC >67 dB, Input Shortd, IHF A-Weighted MC >55 dB, Input Shorted, Unweighted Hi/Low pass crossover slope 12dB / oct DC Trigger Requirements +9 Vdc to +12 Vdc, 2mA XLR Pin Identification 1 = Ground (Shield) 2 = Positive 3 = Negative (Return) Dimensions Width: 17-1/4" (437mm) Depth: 13-3/4" (350mm) Height, with feet: 4-1/8" (105mm) Height, without feet: 3-1/2" (89mm) Net Weight 6.3kg Shipping Weight 9.5kg Power Requirements Standby: 0.5W Power On: 20W 100-250 Volts, 50-60Hz (automatic)