BEST DAC UNDER £400.
Meets Style and Design
The HA-2 is an elegant yet sophisticated portable headphone amplifier with built-in rechargeable battery. It is engineered to enhance music playback from mobile phones and portable music players. Aesthetically, the HA-2 does not look like a typical or generic electronic device. Its genuine leather casing with contrast stitching and beveled aluminum edges are eye-catching and cannot be confused with any other product. Its fit and finish will instill a sense of pride when using the product.
Featuring hybrid class AB amplification and a USB DAC that supports 384 kHz PCM and DSD256, the HA-2 offers high performance digital-to-analog conversion for Apple’s iPhone/iPod products, a wide range of Android devices, PC and Mac computers. The HA-2 may be conveniently used to charge mobile devices on-the-go and itself can be efficiently charged in 30 minutes. Headphones, from very sensitive In-Ear Monitors to the most power-hungry Over-the-Ears, can all benefit from the HA-2’s excellent performance and powerful amplification.Ultra-slim Design
Stacking the HA-2 on top of some smartphone models is often still thinner than other portable headphone amplifier models alone.High-Resolution Audio
Supports PCM audio up to 384 kHz / 32-bit, DSD audio up to 12 MHz (DSD256 or DSD4x). No Camera Connection Kit required for high-resolution playback from iOS devices*.Rapid Charging
Internal battery can be quickly charged in about 30 minutes with the patented rapid charger.ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC
ES9018-K2M DAC chip delivers high-resolution performance with extremely low noise and distortion.Multiple Devices Support
Supports multiple device types for digital-to-analog conversion via USB: iPod / iPhone / iPad, smartphones with USB OTG feature, PC and Mac computers.Mobile Power Bank
The HA-2 functions as an external battery pack for your mobile devices.
- Hybrid Class AB Amplifier - The HA-2's power amplification circuit for the headphones is Class AB built with integrated circuits (ICs) and discrete transistors. The discrete transistor output stage uses hand-picked and matched parts. The output transistors are biased to operate in their most linear range for the critical small signal, and deliver their full potential when power is required.
Made for iPod®, iPhone® and iPad® - The HA-2 passes Apple's "MFi" certification and is compatible with the latest iPod, iPhone and iPad to be used as the digital audio output accessory of these devices. By tapping directly into the digital audio signal of these devices and converting the audio to analog using the high performance SABRE32 Reference DAC, music from your favorite portable device will sound its best. Furthermore, for users with high-resolution music playback apps, the HA-2 does not require the use of a Camera Connection Kit (CCK). The data cables that come with your Apple device or the supplied Lightning cable is sufficient.
- Compatible with Android - The HA-2’s micro-USB input port works with Android devices that support USB OTG (USB On-The-Go) and USB Audio Class. A special USB OTG cable is supplied with the HA-2 to facilitate the connection. When used with a compatible Android device, the HA-2 can support the device's built-in music app, tones and notifications. Additionally, a high-resolution music playback app can use the HA-2 as its external DAC to play lossless PCM and DSD audio files.
- Audio-In and Line-Out - The HA-2 has a 3.5 mm Audio-In port to support portable music players that do not have a USB-compatible digital output. While the HA-2 is used with one of its USB digital input ports, the 3.5 mm jack acts as Line-Out for the USB DAC.
- ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC - The DAC is one of the most important components for digital audio playback. The ES9018-K2M DAC chip used in the HA-2 is the mobile version of the ES9018S used in our award-winning HA-1 desktop headphone amplifier. With the ESS patented 32-bit Hyperstream™ DAC architecture and Time Domain Jitter Eliminator, the SABRE32 Reference DAC delivers an unprecedented performance for mobile applications.
- Asynchronous USB DAC - By bypassing the smartphone's built-in DAC and headphone amplification circuit that are often cost-constrained, the HA-2 turns a smartphone into a high performance digital audio player. The asynchronous USB DAC input of the HA-2 also works with PC and Mac computers to replace the built-in sound card and support high-resolution audio playback with PCM up to 384 kHz 24-bit and DSD up to 12 MHz (DSD256).
- Clean Signal Path - There is no DSP (Digital Signal Processor) in the HA-2. Volume control is operated by a combination of the DAC chip's internal digital volume control and an analog potentiometer (the familiar volume knob). Bass boost is performed by pure analog audio circuits. By avoiding re-digitizing the audio signal for volume adjustment or bass boost, the HA-2 provides a clean signal path for the audio.
- Bass Boost - For those who like a bit more punch and impact with their music, the HA-2 offers a Bass Boost function. With Bass Boost off, the HA-2 delivers a ruler-flat frequency response; with Bass Boost on, the HA-2 adds force and impact to the sub-bass region without muddling the important mid- to high-frequency bands.
- Two Gain Settings - The HA-2 offers two gain level settings for optimal headphone matching. The High Gain mode is capable of driving large power-hungry headphones, delivering up to 300 mW into 16-Ohm headphones. The Low Gain mode is intended for sensitive In-Ear Monitor type earphones.
- Rapid Charging - The HA-2 features patented VOOC rapid charging technology from OPPO. Using the supplied rapid charger, the internal battery can be quickly and safely charged to 75% capacity in about 30 minutes. It only takes approximately 90 minutes to fully charge the battery. A quick charge gives the HA-2 hours of operation time.
- Mobile Power Bank - The HA-2 functions as an external battery pack to charge your mobile device. Utility and convenience are factors we wanted to address with the HA-2, so you can ditch the bulky spare battery pack and carry just the HA-2 with you mobile phone.
- Build Quality - The HA-2 is housed in an aluminum chassis wrapped in genuine leather. The beveled metal edges and contrast stitching on the leather are eye-catching. Its fit and finish will instill a sense of pride when using the product. The HA-2 meshes equally well in the pocket of an urban Millennial or on the desk of a business executive.
General Dimensions (W x H x D) 2.5 x 6.2 x 0.5 inches, 68 x 157 x 12 mm Weight 6.2 oz, 175 grams Frequency Response 20 Hz - 200 kHz Audio-in Level 1 Vrms Line-out Level 1 Vrms Recommended Headphone Impedance 16 Ohm - 300 Ohm Maximum Headphone Output Power 300 mW into 16 Ohm
220 mW into 32 Ohm
30 mW into 300 Ohm
Output Jacks 3.5 mm stereo headphone
3.5 mm stereo line-out
Input Ports Analog: 3.5 mm stereo audio-in
Digital: USB A for iPod / iPhone / iPad; USB micro-B for smartphones with USB OTG feature and computers.
DAC Chip ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9018-K2M Input Format Stereo PCM, Stereo DSD (DoP v1.1 or native) PCM Sampling Frequencies 44.1 kHz - 384 kHz, 16 / 24 / 32-bit DSD Sampling Frequencies 2.8224 MHz (DSD64), 5.6448 MHz (DSD128), 11.2896 MHz (DSD256, native mode only) Profile USB 2.0, USB Audio 2.0 Included Accessories Power Supply Unit (Rapid Charging Charger)
USB A - USB micro-B data and rapid charging cable
USB A - Lightning data cable (for Apple devices)
USB micro-B to micro-B data cable (for Android and other smartphones)
3.5 mm - 3.5 mm stereo audio cable
Silicone rubber band (2 pieces)
User guide and warranty documents
Battery Built-in Battery type 3000 mAh lithium polymer rechargeable battery Battery Operation Time Approx. 13 hours for analog source via Audio-in; approx. 7 hours for digital sources via USB Charging Time Approx. 1 hour 30 minutes
“Made for iPod”, “Made for iPhone”, and “Made for iPad” mean that an electronic accessory has been designed to connect specifically to iPod®, iPhone®, or iPad®, respectively, and has been certified by the developer to meet Apple performance standards. Apple is not responsible for the operation of this device or its compliance with safety and regulatory standards. Please note that the use of this accessory with iPod, iPhone, or iPad may affect wireless performance.
iPad, iPhone, iPod and iPod touch® are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
Compatible iPod/iPhone/iPad Models
USB works with iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini, iPod touch (5th generation).
The HA-2's USB input B works with Android devices that support USB OTG (USB On-The-Go) and USB Audio Class. Not all devices are compatible.
Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.